I'm not sure if I will have time to post again when we arrive in Guangzhou tonight - so I'm doing a second post for Wednesday... They boys had a great time at the pool again. There were some other children there swimming. I guess local people can buy a swim pass there. Mark and Joshua were playing with the children when I got there and having so much fun. There was a boy there who was being very helpful with Joshua. Turns out he is 11 years old and has been taking private English classes for three years, so we had a nice conversation. Very sweet boy. Curious about us and Joshua. He told me that Joshua told him his parents had died. We don't know if he really believes that or if he just said that because it was simple - I kind of think that is the case. There was a little girl there that wanted to know if I could speak any Chinese, so I demostrated a few of my phrases and counted in Chinese. They were all impressed with my counting.... He told me I speak better Chinese than most Americans, however, I don't think that is saying too much. We had such a huge blessing last night. Sunny, our delightful guide from last trip met us for dinner. She had been our lifeline here last time around and spent seven full days with us when we adopted Anna. She is incredibly sweet, is great with children and teaches English to tourism students at the University. Joshua started looking a bit distant again last night as we left for dinner, but he warmed up quickly to Sunny. We were able to communicate with him about many things during dinner. A NOTE for Grandpa Dean -- yesterday afternoon he had seen fishermen at the park and said he wanted to go fishing and to go in a boat. He expressed this wish again at dinner and we told him he has a Grandpa that likes to fish too. Sunny was able to explain to him about our travel to Guangzhou and that we will stay there several days before we go to America. I was concerned he might think Guangzhou was America. Now I think he understands -- he didn't before. Sunny took us to a Kazaak restaurant that was close enough to walk so we could avoid another taxi ride. Joshua and Mark both enjoyed it immensely. One of the pictures shows Mark diving into a specialty dish of the Kazaak people - horse meat. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Sunny treated us to dinner and ordered about 10 dishes. A funny thing happened. After she first ordered, the waitress told her we needed to order even more food -- what??? Turns out we were seated at a 6 person table and after 9 pm you are required to order at least 300 yuan worth of food for that size of table (about $40 us dollars) and it turns out our 10 dishes plus drinks only totaled a little more than 200 yuan (about $30) -- so we ended up squishing into a 4 person table and all was well!! We had tried to pay for dinner, but Sunny had snuck off to pay earlier. When it was time to leave, there was a ton of food left and Sunny wanted to pack it up to share with her roommates the next day. Joshua grabbed the bag of food as we left. Sunny complemented him for his help, but I told her I suspected he thought we were going to take that good food with us - since he is really into food. She talked to him about it and turned to me with her hand on her chest, "do you know what he told me?" I thought he probably told her he wanted to save it for later. Turns out, he told her he wanted to take it to the other children at the orphanage. So, now we are all tearing up... She told him it was too far away, but that we would help him send some things from America to his friends at the orphanage. We went from there to an Ice Cream shop - great delight again. We took our Ice Cream to Dicos where there was more room to sit and ordered some fries. Joshua asked if he could have a piece of fried chicken too. It was such a treat to have Sunny's company and translation. She plans to meet up with us today and accompany us to the airport. She really wants to see us off. Hopefully, our other guide won't mind. We are trying to talk Sunny into coming to visit in America one day. I know Rachel and Sarah will smile when they read that. |
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
Ready to Fly
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Forgive me for always comparing to our adoptions, but in Russia, after we gave Denis his new clothes he folded up his meager items he was wearing and insisted we gave them back to the orphanage before we left. It was all he had to give. I thought then that it was a reflection of his character...that was correct. He is still just as concerned for those smaller and less fortunate. I would bet that is the case with your son as well. To care for those friends of his in the orphanage is part of how he views the world. Similar to his family...Don't you think?
ReplyDeleteLove, Theresa
Oh, Kristine your last two post have brought tears
ReplyDeleteto my eyes. My heart aches for him when you speak
of his sad times. You are doing so wonderful with
loving on him and comforting him through.
What a sweet blessing from the Lord to have Sunny
come and spend time with you.
How sweet of Joshua to want to take the food back
to the orphanage. What a compassionate heart he has.
Praying for you as you travel to Guangzhou. (Especially his
motion sickness)
In Him,
Kathy
Kristine, it really is wonderful to have technology to communicate across miles so quickly in this way. It means a lot to follow along with you on this journey, not only of physical miles, but of the heart. I'm praising God for His abundant blessings upon this transition for Joshua, and for your love and wisdom to nurture and comfort him. Theresa has commentedand I agree that Joshua's compassion and concern for sharing with his orphanage mates is an indication of his precious spirit. Our Anne has that virtue, too. What a miracle considering what lives of deprivation they lived before their adoptions! Blessings on you all, Linda
ReplyDelete