Joshua is doing so well. He has had a couple times where we have seen quiet tears. It is hard to see him have sad moments, but I know he needs to process those emotions. I think we would be more concerned if he wasn't showing emotions. Most of the time, the emotions we see are delight, enthusiasm, curiosity, determination and joy. He is a busy, active boy and has many things to learn. Most of the time, he is compliant and wanting to please us. He has pretty strong opinions and as he learns what is expected in our family, we will have our share of conflicts. He is not afraid to express his disappointments when we tell him "no" or to let the kids know when he isn't happy with something they are doing. For now, most of the time, he really seems to want to fit in with the kids. He is very generous with his smile and his hugs. He is trying to help with chores and doing a pretty good job at it. We took him to a park on Tuesday to play soccer and Frisbee and he had a great time. Yesterday, we took him swimming at a friend's pool. He had a great time. Yesterday morning, I observed him playing in his room for a long time. He had a collection of lego vehicles and people and was arranging them various ways, talking in Chinese the whole time. Other than the fact it was Chinese, the whole scene was just so strangely normal. Just like our other kids, he will have his own struggles and areas for character development and training. He may have unique struggles as he processes the hurts of his early childhood. We can do lots of reading and preparing, but will ultimately just have to trust that God has a plan for this boy and will equip us to be his parents. We are not super parents. While in Praise God for faithfully leading us on paths and adventures we would never dream possible! My children would tell you my favorite chapter of the bible is Hebrews Chapter 11, "The Hall of Faith." I love the list of unqualified candidates that God used to accomplish His purpose and the reminder that if we walk by faith, He can use us, even if we don't see the fruit in our life time. I still feel pretty unqualified to manage a household of 8 on many days, but am thankful that God has led us on this adventure. It will be exciting to see what he does with each of these lives, in spite of my inadequacies and failures along the way. Because I didn't set out on this path or envision having all of these children, I think it has made the miraculous journey much easier for me to see. So many miracles happened along this journey to Joshua, just as they did for Anna and as they did for each of my birth children too. They all have a story. On difficult days, when I feel overwhelmed and inadequate, those miracles remind me that God has a plan and purpose and He will be faithful to complete it if I am willing to just keep walking. If Joshua has adjustment difficulties or adolescent difficulties, I will remember the miracles that brought us from seeing an unlikely photo to bringing home a little boy. I will remember the unlikely timing of events and God's amazing If you would like to follow the continuing adventures of the Aldrich Family, we will be posting again on our family blog next week – JbarJHappenings. You can email me for a link. Thank you for following our journey, praying us through and encouraging us in so many ways. Kristine for the Aldrich Family (Pete, Kristine, Rachel, Sarah, James, Mark, Anna and JOSHUA!) |
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Utterly Normal
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Each miracle that brought Joshua here could fill chapter of a book, I am sure. It is hard to imagine each miracle without seeing them first hand. I have explained your story to more than one person and even when I recount what I have seen with my own eyes it seems unbelievable. So just remember that in the future if any of you forget...the VanWettens will help you to remember the days of bringing Joshua home!!!
ReplyDeleteWe love your family and look forward to having you over to chat!
Thinking of you often. So glad all is going remarkably well and normal. Take care!
ReplyDeleteCheri