We had a great day yesterday, but for some reason, Joshua became withdrawn and quiet at dinner. He had done the same thing at the end of dinner in the same restaurant the night before. Last time, he stuffed himself and then became quiet. This time, his countenance changed right after we sat down. He wouldn't speak to us or to the waitress who saw what was happening and tried to speak with him. He didn't want anything to eat or drink. After the broccoli arrived (which he devoured the night before) and he showed no interest, I decided perhaps I should just take him back to the room. I wasn't sure how he would feel about leaving with just me or if we would have a scene in the restaurant, but as soon as I got up and said, "Let's go" he took my hand and walked out. There had been a few quiet tears in the restaurant. When we got back to the room, he went and sat on the bed. I grabbed his blanket, wrapped it around him and just held him and told him it was okay to be sad. I don't know what, if anything, he understood of what I was saying, but the tears started to really flow for a few minutes. I didn't know what else to do but just hold him and tell him all of the people that love him. After a while, I got him some tissue and held him some more and sang a couple songs that I always sung to my babies (or toddler in Anna's case) when I rocked them – Jesus Loves Me and Amazing Grace. Those songs are pretty deeply ingrained in my kids. Sarah sang Jesus Loves Me to Joshua the first time we called her. Anna sang it to him today. Mark wanted to sing Amazing Grace while we were here. Joshua was very quiet, but he allowed me to hold him and I think that was good. After a while, I went in search of the photo albums and on the way, found packages of balloons we had brought with us. They are those balloons used for making animals. I sat next to him and started pumping one up. He started looking sideways at my work, then wanted to blow one up himself. We ended up blowing up several balloons, making some creatures that could only exist on a foreign planet and finally had a balloon sword fight with the helmets I had attempted to make out of the balloons. (I really needed my girls here to help make balloon art – I'm the least qualified person for such a task!) By the time Pete and Mark arrived, we were ready to ambush them with our balloon swords. This morning, we had another fun breakfast, called all of the kids (after I figured out where they all were – I had lost track but they were all at our house with both sets of grandparents, my sister and her boys!) and then set out with our guide to Red Hill Park. The boys had a great time again. We had a little balloon misadventure at the start. There was a midway type game of shooting lasers at balloons. The sign said .4 yuan and our guide said it would be about 1 yuan for both boys to play (remember – there are 8 yuan to one USD) so this seemed really cheap and we said, "okay". So the boys start blasting away at the balloons. I'm watching two employees stand there with a big bag of balloons replacing the popping ones as fast as they could go and thinking – boy this seems like a lot of work for them for one yuan…. After the boys had been blasting away for a few minutes I signed for them to stop. We had a big shock when they told us it was .4 yuan PER SHOT…. Between the two boys, they had taken about 500 shots before we made it clear to these employees that we wanted them to stop. SOOO, when you see the boys in the pagoda picture holding stuffed parrots, please admire them since it cost about $30 for those two parrots! Yikes! A good lesson learned for us and our guide. We enjoyed visiting After leaving the park, we caught a taxi with the intention of visiting the Grand Bazaar for which When we got back to the hotel, Joshua slept for almost 2 hours, but woke up feeling much better. Pete got some num bread and fried rice (they have their own yummy type of rice here) and Joshua had something to eat and seemed quite content. Pete and Mark went out to the street vendors to buy an outfit for each boy to wear tomorrow since we figured out it cost less than laundry at the hotel. We attempted to find a place to do laundry today – another long story – We're trying to hold off on laundry until we get to The boys are off swimming again, so I'm off to see how they are doing. Thank you again for all of the prayers and encouraging words. One more week in |
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
Balloons, Bonding and Taxi Rides
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dear friends. Sounds like Joshua and you three are having a blessed time together, getting to know each other, and that Joshua is open to receiving your love and comfort. That is such good news. It makes me smile and smile to see the pictures, too. God is with you, that's obvious! We are praying for His traveling mercies and that Joshua doesn't have to endure, along with you :) any more motion sickness. In Him, Linda and all the Coopers
ReplyDeleteHi All - we can't wait to meet our new newphew! We have been praying for this little man for a long time, and it is wonderful to see how the Lord provides. I just wish that Matt would be able to meet him before he leaves for boot camp, but that will have to wait. Let us know if you need to be picked up at the airport again. After all, we started a tradition when you came home with Anna! We love you and can't wait for you to be home. Denise
ReplyDeleteI sat down with Taylor and told him how Joshua is grieving. I asked him if he had any advice on what helped him. (By the way, he said he will help however he can to assist with Joshua since he knows what it feels like to be 7 and adopted...he can be so sweet when he wants to be!)
ReplyDeleteHe said that what was helpful to him were things you were already doing (although I hadn't told him what you were doing till after he shared his advice with me):
Allowing him to cry
Comforting him
Having toys for him to play with
A stuffed animal (his is still incredibly dear to him)
He also mentioned having something silky to rub his fingers over. It apparently gave him a calming feeling. He said he used that a lot. It was small and he could take it with him if he really needed to have it.
He said if he thinks of anything else he'll let me know. Sweet guy!
He also loved the idea of the sword fight with the balloons, it made him laugh!
Hope that helps.
Barb :)
Kristine,
ReplyDeleteI am amazed by how much Joshua is letting you into his feelings already. I really think this is a good sign. You are handling it just right. He seems to have such a connection with you and your family already. I love that you sang to him. The balloons were great...humor is such and excellent bridge!
Love, Theresa